PUNE: With the U.S.’s sustained attack on the Appellate Body of the WTO – the body which determines trade disputes between member nations – and President Trump’s statement that countries such as India and China are taking advantage of their “developing country” status to get unfair trade benefits, there is a real danger to the functioning of the international body at the moment. But apart from countering Washington’s contention of unfair trade benefits, Beijing is also worried about the outbreak of the coronavirus from a trade perspective. Ambassador Zhang Xiangchen, China’s Permanent Representative to the WTO, tells Opinion Editor Ashwin Ahmad that his country has urged WTO member nations to remember that the coronavirus is a “global disease” and they must not use it as an excuse to levy non-tariff restrictions on Chinese products. Instead, they must all come together to safeguard global trade for the common good.
Traveller, bibliophile and wordsmith with a yen for international relations. A journalist and budding author of short fiction, life is a daily struggle to uncover the latest breaking story while attempting to be Hemingway in the self-same time. Focussed especially on Europe and West Asia, discussing Brexit, the Iran crisis and all matters related is a passion that endures to this day. Believes firmly that life without the written word is a life best not lived. That’s me, Ashwin Ahmad.
- ‘We Are Getting Hammered For Hambantota, Directly Or Indirectly’
- “Those Trying To Sabotage Afghan-India Ties Won’t Achieve Goal, Taliban Not Controlled By Anyone”
- “Not One Security Incident Directed At India’s Diplomats, Afghanistan Not A Playground For Powers”
- How S-400 Systems Will Boost India’s Air Defence
- India’s Presence In Afghanistan Larger Than It Ought To Be: Pakistan’s Foreign Minister
- Pak PM Picks Asim Munir As Next Army Chief; President Meets Imran
- Indian Foreign Secretary Visits Myanmar Junta Leaders As Ties Deepen
- Freed Australian Economist Turnell Says Myanmar Ruled By ‘Fools’
- Impose Costs On Countries Supporting Terrorism: PM Modi
- G20 Overcomes Mystery Missile Strikes, Accepts Indian Formulation On Ukraine