Between 4000 and 6000 Myanmarese refugees are in India, according to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. They have come in through the 1600-km porous border India shares with Myanmar. Although there were calls from the Centre to seal the border and send the refugees back, this has not happened. Thailand which had over 1000 Myanmar refugees has sent them back. The UN estimates there are more than 60,000 internally displaced people in Myanmar and as the conflict intensifies, the drive to find sanctuary in neighbouring countries will intensify.
- ‘Pakistan’s Self-Made Crisis Won’t End Anytime Soon’
- Maldives Gets Its Next President But Too Many Ifs Lie Ahead
- ‘Canada Is Not Alone In Challenging India, It Has Powerful Friends’
- Taiwan’s Indigenously Developed Submarine: Haikun
- Muizzu’s Win, Solih’s Loss: Ramifications For India, China In Maldives