NEW DELHI: Lockdowns are costly and the longer the current lockdown lasts, the greater the impact on the GDP. Renowned economist Dr. Arvind Virmani said the government needs to seriously look at alternatives even though the lockdown has helped slow the spread of infection. On Talking Point with StratNews Global, he said the government could continue the ban on international travel until perhaps June. Rigorous implementation of Section 144 prohibiting the gathering of five or more people is another possibility. Dr. Virmani dismissed various mathematical models that suggest India’s infection spread is wider than acknowledged. He said it is best to go by the data being collected domestically. He warned that the sense of fear could have as bad an impact on the economy as the virus impact itself.
September 24, 2021
September 23, 2021
- Modi Gets A Gentle Nudge on Human Rights But All’s Well
- Quad, AUKUS And Bilateral Complementarities In Countering China
- Modi’s U.S Visit: Afghanistan, Nuclear ‘Sub’-Text & A Lot More
- ‘U.S. Shouldn’t Turn A Blind Eye To Pak-backed Khalistanis, It Could Affect China Confrontation’
- ‘QUAD Rotors Are In Place, Time For Liftoff’