NEW DELHI: Lockdowns are costly and the longer the current lockdown lasts, the greater the impact on the GDP. Renowned economist Dr. Arvind Virmani said the government needs to seriously look at alternatives even though the lockdown has helped slow the spread of infection. On Talking Point with StratNews Global, he said the government could continue the ban on international travel until perhaps June. Rigorous implementation of Section 144 prohibiting the gathering of five or more people is another possibility. Dr. Virmani dismissed various mathematical models that suggest India’s infection spread is wider than acknowledged. He said it is best to go by the data being collected domestically. He warned that the sense of fear could have as bad an impact on the economy as the virus impact itself.
- After Abe As Japan’s ‘Compass’: India, Indo-Pacific, Quad & China
- ‘Not Hard-pressed As Of Now By Ukraine War, Have Adequate Stocks Of Spares’
- Sri Lanka: Northern Families Forced To Give Up Children To Foster Care
- ‘Different Systems Make Up The Indo-Pacific; Accept That Reality’
- Need To Develop Grey Zone Capabilities: Army Chief
- Russian Energy Calculus And The Western Duplicity
- ‘Western Imagination Failure That Russia Wanted To Finish Ops In Days, Change Ukraine Government’
- Should India Buy Heavily Discounted Russian Oil, Energy Assets Of Exiting Western Companies?
- Expect Full-Throttle Pushback By Russia & China Against Quad: Vijay Gokhale
- Can’t Follow LAC Protocols Selectively: Army Chief On India-China Standoff