Home west asia Israel UK Bars Israeli Officials From Attending Its Largest Defence Trade Show

UK Bars Israeli Officials From Attending Its Largest Defence Trade Show

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer's government said in July it would recognise a Palestinian state unless Israel took steps to relieve suffering in the enclave.
Logo of Israeli defence electronics firm Elbit Systems is seen at their offices in Haifa, Israel, February 26, 2017. Picture taken February 26, 2017. REUTERS/Baz Ratner/File Photo

Britain has prohibited Israeli officials from attending its largest defence trade show in response to Israel’s escalating war against Hamas in Gaza, marking its latest move to pressure a historically close ally over the conflict.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer‘s government said in July it would recognise a Palestinian state unless Israel took steps to relieve suffering in the enclave and met other conditions, enraging the Israeli government.

Israel’s Ministry of Defence said that, as a result of the trade fair ban, it would not run its national pavilion as it has done previously at London’s Defence & Security Equipment International event.

Israeli defence companies, such as Elbit Systems, Rafael, IAI and Uvision, will still be able to attend.

Britain’s move had echoes of a dispute at the Paris Air Show three months ago, when France blocked off with black partitions the stands of Israeli defence companies after they refused to remove attack weapons from display, sparking a furious response from Israel.

UK Criticises Gaza Escalation

A British government spokesperson said on Friday that the Israeli government’s decision to further escalate its military operation in Gaza was wrong.

“As a result, we can confirm that no Israeli government delegation will be invited to attend DSEI UK 2025.”

“There must be a diplomatic solution to end this war now, with an immediate ceasefire, the return of the hostages and a surge in humanitarian aid to the people of Gaza,” the spokesperson added.

Israel said Britain’s decision was a “regrettable act of discrimination” and “introduces political considerations wholly inappropriate for a professional defence industry exhibition”.

The four-day show, due to open on September 9, features national delegations and private companies, who showcase military kit and weapons at London’s Excel centre. The event takes place every other year.

DSEI is organised by a private company, Clarion Defence and Security, but with backing from the British government and the military.

(With inputs from Reuters)

+ posts