NEW DELHI: Of late, internal discussions in the Indian military about creation of theatre commands to bring in optimisation and synergy has spilled out in the public domain causing huge outrage and generating a lot of acrimonious debate amongst military veterans. What is the reality? Is India’s first Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Gen Bipin Rawat unfair in calling the Indian Air Force a support arm for ground forces? Is the IAF being obdurate in its approach? These questions are natural since change is never easy. And any hint of change in tradition-bound, conservative armed forces leads to instant push back. So what is the way forward. To answer these and some more questions, Editor-in-Chief Nitin A. Gokhale is in conversation with three armed forces veterans who have had some experience in working in tri-service organisations at a higher defence management level in recent years.
July 28, 2021
- Indo-Pacific Is A Top Priority, India Relations One Of The Most Consequential: U.S. Says
- U.S. To Stay Engaged In Afghanistan; Ties With India Vital: Blinken
- ‘Blinken’s Visit Underscores India’s Value For US Interests’
- Forcing Sri Lankan Government To Accept The Accord Was A Mistake : Says Former IPKF Chief
- India Should Look Within For Sri Lanka Mess