New Delhi: China has been increasing the number and extent of fighter jet, bomber and surveillance flights into Taiwan’s Air Defence Identification Zone (ADIZ). The People’s Liberation Army’s Navy(PLAN) continuously sails warships and its aircraft carrier through the Taiwan Strait, while U.S. Navy Carrier Battle Groups move through the area in regular freedom of navigation exercises and its vessels conduct drills with partners in the South and East China Seas. The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) also uses a number of coercive tactics just under the armed conflict threshold like cyber attacks, and non-military tactics to try and fatigue the Taiwanese island’s defenders. On ‘The Gist’, Dr Raymond Kuo, a political scientist and author of ‘Contests of Initiative: Confronting China’s Grey Zone Strategy’ discusses Beijing using its ‘coercive but sub-conventional military power’ and outlines ‘three courses of action for the U.S. and its Asian security partners to preserve regional peace, uphold freedom of the seas, and deter conflict.’ In conversation with StratNews Global Associate Editor Amitabh P. Revi, the former foreign policy strategist at the UN and in Taiwan’s ruling Democratic Progressive Party also analyses U.S., Japanese and Indian foreign policy vis-a-vis Beijing and Taipei and the possibility and ramifications of Taiwan being a flashpoint for conflict in the region.
- A Home Grown Tech Stack Together With A Geopolitical Reset Is Favouring An Indian Decade
- ‘The Ukraine War Could Grind On, It’s Hard To Predict A Result’
- Security Czars Of India, Central Asian Countries Talk Terrorism, Connectivity
- India Calls Out European Double Standards Again As West’s Russia Oil Price Cap Kicks In
- The Fallout Of The G7’s Price Cap On Russian Oil
- ‘Pakistan’s Manipulation Of The Pashtuns Maybe Coming To An End’
- Identity, Islam, Imran & India: Pakistan’s Long March To…?
- Pak’s Next Army Chief Could Be ‘Straight Arrow’ Asim Munir To Tame Imran
- ‘We Are Getting Hammered For Hambantota, Directly Or Indirectly’
- “Those Trying To Sabotage Afghan-India Ties Won’t Achieve Goal, Taliban Not Controlled By Anyone”