So long, farewell to retiring Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale who heads off into the Pune sunset at the end of his diplomatic innings. Incidentally, he was Secretary, Economic Relations, in Delhi when picked for the top job, which is not the norm. Generally, foreign secretaries have moved into South Block from some foreign capital, as Harsh Shringla is doing. In recent memory, the only other diplomat who rose to foreign secretary while in Delhi was Kanwal Sibal, known as tough and no-nonsense, which is probably why he didn’t get the extension he deserved.
- Afghanistan, China, Pakistan, Indo-Pacific, Defence And Trade In India-U.S. Ties
- Indo-Pacific Is A Top Priority, India Relations One Of The Most Consequential: U.S. Says
- U.S. To Stay Engaged In Afghanistan; Ties With India Vital: Blinken
- ‘Blinken’s Visit Underscores India’s Value For US Interests’
- Forcing Sri Lankan Government To Accept The Accord Was A Mistake : Says Former IPKF Chief